Telehealth nursing is an exciting sub-specialty within ambulatory care nursing.
Telehealth Nursing Practice uses the nursing process to provide nursing care and access to health care for individual patients or patient populations over the telephone.
Telehealth Nursing Practice occurs in multiple health care settings.
- Use of clinical algorithms, protocols or guidelines to systematically assess patient needs and symptoms.
- Prioritization of the urgency of patient needs.
- Collaborative development of the plan of care with the patient and supportive disciplines, which may include recommendations for care, call back instructions, and education.
- Outcome evaluation.
Members are always welcome to post a question at any time, as we strive to share best practice and great ideas. We hope you will join us in our journey to develop and support ambulatory leaders.
Feel free to join our discussion by using the Connected Communities. Find out about them in the "TNP SIG Connected Community" tab below.
There are no announcements at this time.
- Promote Telehealth nursing practice consistent with AAACN TNP standards.
- Support continuing education specific to Telehealth nursing practice.
- Support a network for Telehealth nurses responding to the changing needs of SIG members.
- Develop collegial relationships with other professional nursing organizations.
- Support research and publication within the specialty of TNP.
The Telehealth Manager's Toolkit is designed to be a resource for managers and leaders by the AAACN TNP SIG. It is important to remember when reviewing the information in the toolkit that not all call centers are alike and that nursing practice varies from state to state.
Managers should check with their State Board of Nursing regarding nursing scope and practice standards. We hope that you will find this a useful tool to start or improve your call center, ambulatory triage service or Telehealth Nursing practice.
The Telehealth Nursing Practice Special Interest Group Clinical Practice/Quality Improvement Workgroup has gathered several position descriptions for various positions in telehealth nursing practice.
Several organizations have shared their position descriptions with the intent to assist others in the development of position descriptions key for the practice of telehealth nursing.
A position description outlines the nature of work and describes the major duties and responsibilities, qualifications, and skills necessary to successfully perform a specific position.
Position descriptions may also outline working conditions, note applicable professional standards relevant to the role, supervision the positions receives, and any supervisory responsibility that the position may have. Download the Toolkit.
There are no scheduled calls at this time.
Each SIG has been added to the Connected Community platform for all of your networking.
Members network via communities that provide archiving of discussions, a document library, search feature, digest options, and a customization profile for each member, and is mobile friendly.
AAACN established the Telehealth Nursing Practice Special Interest Group in 1995 with the support of its members.
In 1997, the first edition of the Telehealth Nursing Practice Standards were published. This landmark publication was the first of its kind in the nursing profession and met the goals set by the SIG two years prior.
In 2001, the second edition was published.
The third and fourth editions were published in 2004 and 2007, respectively.
In Spring 2001, the Telehealth Nursing Practice Core (TNPC) Course debuted. This is the first verification practicuum offered in the specialty of Telehealth nursing.
Clinical Practice / Quality Improvement
- Improve Telehealth clinical practice and professionalism.
- Recognize practice issues relevant to Telehealth nursing practice and communicate trends with other SIGs.
- Plan and implement ways to reach potential new members for AAACN TNP SIG to promote membership and the application of the AAACN Telehealth Standards.
Communication / Networking
- Organize, create, or solicit articles for the ViewPoint publication within the subspecialty of Telehealth Nursing Practice.
- Manage the Connected Communities to discuss current practice and ideas.
- Post current events to the AAACN Website.
- Have a product offering with perceived value in our market with a minimum of biannual review/revision of content required.
- Update the Telehealth Nursing Practice Resource Directory and be ready for sale at each annual conference. APA format will be maintained to be consistent with most professional literature.
Telehealth Nursing Practice SIG members must be members of AAACN. The membership year begins upon receipt of dues.