Telehealth nursing is an exciting sub-specialty within ambulatory care nursing.
Telehealth Nursing Practice uses the nursing process to provide nursing care and access to health care for individual patients or patient populations over the telephone.
Telehealth Nursing Practice occurs in multiple health care settings.
Defined criteria for Telehealth Nursing Practice includes:
- Use of clinical algorithms, protocols or guidelines to systematically assess patient needs and symptoms.
- Prioritization of the urgency of patient needs.
- Collaborative development of the plan of care with the patient and supportive disciplines, which may include recommendations for care, call back instructions, and education.
- Outcome evaluation.
Members are always welcome to post a question at any time, as we strive to share best practice and great ideas. We hope you will join us in our journey to develop and support ambulatory leaders.
Feel free to join our discussion by using the Connected Communities. Find out about them in the "TNP SIG Connected Community" tab below.
Each SIG has its own Connected Community for all your networking needs.
To visit the Connected Community and/or join SIGs:
- Visit the Community.
- Log in as a AAACN member.
- On the All Communities page, you will see all SIGs are you already part of, and options to join any SIGs you are not currently part of.
- Click on your SIG(s) Communities to visit, or click "Join Community" on the right side of the page, select your email digest preference, and you're set!
Members of AAACN may join as many SIGs as desired. Join the conversation today!
If you have any difficulty getting into the community, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
This contet is only available in the TNP SIG Connected Community. (Member log in required)
- Promote Telehealth nursing practice consistent with AAACN TNP standards.
- Support continuing education specific to Telehealth nursing practice.
- Support a network for Telehealth nurses responding to the changing needs of SIG members.
- Develop collegial relationships with other professional nursing organizations.
- Support research and publication within the specialty of TNP.
The Telehealth Manager's Toolkit is designed to be a resource for managers and leaders by the AAACN TNP SIG. It is important to remember when reviewing the information in the toolkit that not all call centers are alike and that nursing practice varies from state to state.
Managers should check with their State Board of Nursing regarding nursing scope and practice standards. We hope that you will find this a useful tool to start or improve your call center, ambulatory triage service or Telehealth Nursing practice.
AAACN established the Telehealth Nursing Practice Special Interest Group in 1995 with the support of its members.
In 1997, the first edition of the Telehealth Nursing Practice Standards were published. This landmark publication was the first of its kind in the nursing profession and met the goals set by the SIG two years prior.
In 2001, the second edition was published.
The third and fourth editions were published in 2004 and 2007, respectively.
In Spring 2001, the Telehealth Nursing Practice Core (TNPC) Course debuted. This is the first verification practicuum offered in the specialty of Telehealth nursing.
Clinical Practice / Quality Improvement
- Improve Telehealth clinical practice and professionalism.
- Recognize practice issues relevant to Telehealth nursing practice and communicate trends with other SIGs.
- Plan and implement ways to reach potential new members for AAACN TNP SIG to promote membership and the application of the AAACN Telehealth Standards.
Communication / Networking
- Organize, create, or solicit articles for the ViewPoint publication within the subspecialty of Telehealth Nursing Practice.
- Manage the Connected Communities to discuss current practice and ideas.
- Post current events to the AAACN Website.
- Have a product offering with perceived value in our market with a minimum of biannual review/revision of content required.
- Update the Telehealth Nursing Practice Resource Directory and be ready for sale at each annual conference. APA format will be maintained to be consistent with most professional literature.
Telehealth Nursing Practice SIG members must be members of AAACN. The membership year begins upon receipt of dues.