Telehealth nursing is an exciting sub-specialty within ambulatory care nursing.
Telehealth Nursing Practice uses the nursing process to provide nursing care and access to health care for individual patients or patient populations over the telephone.
Telehealth Nursing Practice occurs in multiple health care settings.
Defined criteria for Telehealth Nursing Practice includes:
- Use of clinical algorithms, protocols or guidelines to systematically assess patient needs and symptoms.
- Prioritization of the urgency of patient needs.
- Collaborative development of the plan of care with the patient and supportive disciplines, which may include recommendations for care, call back instructions, and education.
- Outcome evaluation.
Members are always welcome to post a question at any time, as we strive to share best practice and great ideas. We hope you will join us in our journey to develop and support ambulatory leaders.
Feel free to join our discussion by signing up with your email address! We look forward to hearing from you! Join the list.
News and Announcements
Members Win Award for Telehealth Article
Members Carol Rutenberg and Liz Greenberg, have won the 2014 Linda Strangio Editor’s Award from Images (former name of the Journal of Radiology Nursing) for their article titled “Telephone Nursing in Radiology: Managing the Risks.”
The article appeared in the June 2014 issue of the Journal of Radiology Nursing, Vol. 33.2, pp. 63.-68.
The article was chosen by the Editorial Board of JRN because they felt it best portrayed the true meaning of the radiology nursing profession.
Carol and Liz will receive the award in March at the Association for Radiologic & Imaging Nursing (ARIN) Annual Business Meeting.
Purpose of the TNP SIG
- Promote Telehealth nursing practice consistent with AAACN TNP standards.
- Support continuing education specific to Telehealth nursing practice.
- Support a network for Telehealth nurses responding to the changing needs of SIG members.
- Develop collegial relationships with other professional nursing organizations.
- Support research and publication within the specialty of TNP.
Telehealth Manager's Toolkit (Members only)
The Telehealth Manager's Toolkit is designed to be a resource for managers and leaders by the AAACN TNP SIG. It is important to remember when reviewing the information in the toolkit that not all call centers are alike and that nursing practice varies from state to state.
Managers should check with their State Board of Nursing regarding nursing scope and practice standards. We hope that you will find this a useful tool to start or improve your call center, ambulatory triage service or Telehealth Nursing practice. Download the Toolkit.
TNP SIG History
AAACN established the Telehealth Nursing Practice Special Interest Group in 1995 with the support of its members.
In 1997, the first edition of the Telehealth Nursing Practice Standards were published. This landmark publication was the first of its kind in the nursing profession and met the goals set by the SIG two years prior.
In 2001, the second edition was published.
The third and fourth editions were published in 2004 and 2007, respectively.
In Spring 2001, the Telehealth Nursing Practice Core (TNPC) Course debuted. This is the first verification practicuum offered in the specialty of Telehealth nursing.
Clinical Practice / Quality Improvement
- Improve Telehealth clinical practice and professionalism.
- Recognize practice issues relevant to Telehealth nursing practice and communicate trends with other SIGs.
- Plan and implement ways to reach potential new members for AAACN TNP SIG to promote membership and the application of the AAACN Telehealth Standards.
Communication / Networking
- Organize, create, or solicit articles for the ViewPoint publication within the subspecialty of Telehealth Nursing Practice.
- Manage a monthly email discussion list to discuss current practice and ideas.
- Post current events to the AAACN Website.
- Have a product offering with perceived value in our market with a minimum of biannual review/revision of content required.
- Update the Telehealth Nursing Practice Resource Directory and be ready for sale at each annual conference. APA format will be maintained to be consistent with most professional literature.
Benefits and Communication Vehicles
The SIG will meet once per year during the AAACN Annual Conference.
Telehealth Nursing Practice SIG Chair will communicate regularly with SIG members through written communiqués, through regular articles in the AAACN ViewPoint newsletter, through the AAACN Website and the Telehealth SIG E-mail Discussion list (list serv) where members discuss practice issues and questions all year long.
This is a members only benefit. Join the list.
Telehealth Nursing Practice SIG members must be members of AAACN. The membership year begins upon receipt of dues.