The Veterans Affairs SIG provides a forum for VA ambulatory care nurses to discuss problems, share solutions and creative programs; and keep in touch across the country.
Have a look at the VA SIG, and find out what we are all about! Contact us at via the email addresses found in the "Leadership" tab below. How many VA SIG members are in YOUR state?
2017 VA SIG Survey Results
The VA SIG's recent survey showed a wide array of topics the 54 respondents were interested in, with process improvement topping the list at 75.93%. The majority have been AAACN members for 3-5 years (32.69%), and just over 40% members of the VA SIG for 1-3 years. Nearly all have been RNs for over 10 years (94%), and 44.23% have worked in ambulatory care for 6-10 years.
The highest level of education was reported as Master's degree, closely followed by Bachelor's, and 44.23% described their position as a staff nurse. Nearly half of respondents are certified in ambulatory care nursing. The most common work setting was a hospital-based clinic. Respondents most commonly read Community discussions weekly (39.58%), and 34.62% visit the VA SIG's webpage monthly. View the 2017 VA SIG Survey Results.
"I find the VA SIG very helpful," one VA SIG member said. "I greatly appreciate the work current leadership is doing. The questions help me learn, and I am grateful that I am able to provide feedback to my colleagues."
- To promote AAACN initiatives related to Standards of Care and Practice
- To provide the opportunity to enhance collaborative relationships
The VA SIG meets annually at the AAACN Conference. The VA SIG communicates on a periodic basis with its membership via articles in the AAACN ViewPoint publication, as well as via the AAACN Website and VA SIG Community. We also hold regular conference call meetings monthly. See the Meetings and Minutes tab (below) for details.
Best PracticesPoster Presentations and VA SIG Sessions
- As a VA SIG member, you may view select post presentations from the most recent Annual Conference. VA posters are signified by an American flag icon .
- You may also listen to VA SIG sessions discussed at the most recent Annual Conference.
Since poster presentation access and SIG Sessions are AAACN member benefits, you will be prompted to log into your AAACN member account from the links above (free to AAACN members).
VA Meetings and Minutes
VA SIG Meetings- The general information below is for all VA SIG Meetings. Occasionally, there are may be additional information about specific meetings (when available).
• VA SIG meetings are held the third Tuesday of every each month
• 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM EST
• Dial In: Toll Free #: 1-800-582-3014 | Participant Passcode: 875843813#.
• Please do not join audio as this creates static and background noise, or press *6 (star 6) to mute background noise.
• LYNC available through VA intranet only - Join Skype Meeting
• Please contact our secretary if you have not received a meeting invitation.
VA SIG Meeting Minutes
- April 16, 2019
- March 19, 2019
- February 19, 2019
- January 15, 2019
- December 18, 2018
- November 20, 2018
- September 18, 2018
- August 21, 2018
- July 17, 2018
- June 19, 2018
- April 17, 2018
- February 21, 2018
- October 17, 2017
- August 14, 2017
- June 20, 2017
- April 18, 2017
- February 21, 2017
- December 13, 2016
- October 18, 2016
- August 16, 2016
- June 21, 2016
- April 19, 2016
- March 22, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- December 15, 2015
- October 20, 2015
- August 8, 2015
- June 16, 2015
- A Veteran's Home Telehealth Experience: Chronic Care Management in the Comforts of Home
- AAACN-AMSN Care Transition Hand-Off Toolkit Introduction
- Agent Orange: The Aftermath and Implications for Pact Nurses
- Annual Learning Needs Assessment Tool
- Care Management Tool Training Presentation PDF | PPT
- Choice Brief PDF | PPT
- Clonorchis Sinesis/Chinese Liver Fluke Parasite PDF | PPT
- Collapsed Nurse Qualification Standard VA handbook 5005, March 2009
- Conversation Project, The
- Designing a Nurse and Pharmacist Hypertension Management Clinic in theHome Telehealth Veteran Population
- End-of-Life Care Conversations
- ESI PPT
- ESI Handbook Ordering Instructions
- ESI-Objectives Agenda for OPCs
- ESI Refesher Quiz
- ESI SkillsChecklist FY
- Features and Tips for My HealtheVet
- FHCC Lovell Annual Competency Primary Care Directorate
- FHCC Lovell Competency Assessment Form
- Instructions for using PCAS for Care Coordination
- Introduction to the War Related Illness & Injury Study Center
- LEAN PPT
- LPN BP
- Metabolic Syndrome on the Web PPT | PDF
- MHV presentation CS
- Orientation Program for Primary Care Nursing
- Pact Patient Appointment Planning Tool (Huddle Tool) PPT | PDF
- Patient Engagement PPT | PDF
- Patient Engagement: A Key to Quantify the Impact of Nursing in Care Coordination
- Planning for an Emergency
- Primary Care Education Update
- Professional Development Resources
- Roadmap for Veterans
- Sercure Messaging Terms and Condition with Patient View Link in Purple 2015
- Telehealth Increases Access to Care for Veterans with Physical Limitations and Chronic Disease Processes PPT | PDF
- Telephone Triage in Primary Care TEDP
- Tips for VA RN Promotions PDF | PPT
- VA PACT University
- VA Pulse Presentation (Oct. 2015)
- VA SIG Events You Don’t Want to Miss!
- Virtual Meetings
- VA CoE Presentation
Recordings from previous VA SIG meetings can be found in the VA SIG Community's Documents Library. Once there, log in, locate the VA SIG Community, and click on the Library tab to view documents.
- AAACN Article Guideline
- CAN Score Information
- FHCC Competency Assessment Form
- Heart Failure Stoplight Management Plan
- HT Operations Manual (VA Network Access Only)
- Kathy Beatty’s CAN Template
- PACT Integrated Virtual Training
- PACT Toolkit (VA Network Access Only)
- Patient Heart Failure Follow Up Letter for the Director
- VHA PACT Handbook
- VHA Telehealth Services (VA Network Access Only)
Each SIG has been added to the Connected Community platform for all of your networking.
Members network via communities that provide archiving of discussions, a document library, search feature, digest options, and a customization profile for each member, and is mobile friendly.
|Welcoming New Members of the VA Special Interest Group for July 2019!|
Amy Fulwood, BSN, RN-BC, VHA-CM
Gregory Kopp, MN, MHA, RN, CENP
Katherine Andersen, MSN, RN-BC, CCM
Mary Kate Sweeney, MSN, RN
Deena Gilland, MSN, RN, OCN, NEA-BC
All AAACN members who wish to network with other nurses caring for our veterans are invited to join the VA SIG. Follow the numbered steps below:
- Log in to your account (If you are not already logged in)
- "My Account"
- "Click here to update your profile information";
- "Individual Information", > "Edit";
- Once in the "Primary Contact Information" area, click the gray "Manage Demographics" button;
- In the Special Interest Groups (Pick one or more) area, select the Veterans Affairs.
Note: (To join multiple SIGs, just hold down the control key and click.)
Once you have joined the VA SIG in your AAACN account, within 30 minutes, you will automatically become part of the VA SIG Community and will begin to receive emails in real time. You may update your preferences to receive emails in daily digest, or receive no emails.
For help joining the VA SIG or using the Community, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the Community to ask your questions, discuss your concerns, share best practices, access and add to the documents library, request assistance with getting your programs off the ground and running successfully, and more!
We have a wide support base with many different levels of information to assist you. All members are welcome to join the Community, and we look forward to upcoming calls to discuss topics of interest to all VA SIG members.
The Brag Board features various accomplishments of the VA SIG, the VA in general.
Do you have something (VA) to brag about, or a photo you just have to share? Email VA SIG Leadership at VASIGVERSION2@gmail.com! We just might post it right here!
Click the tab titles directly below to view.
- 2019 Clinical Excellence Award Winner
- Longtime AAACN Member Honored
- AAACN Member Receives National Award
2019 Clinical Excellence Award Winner
Amy Fulwood, BSN, RN-BC, VHA-CM, from the North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System, The Villages Outpatient Clinic, is this year’s Clinical Excellence Award Winner.
According to colleagues, she exhibits the commendable qualities of initiative, motivation, organizational understanding, leadership ability, communication skills, commitment, problem-solving, and integrity. Congratulations, Amy!
Read the News Item about her success!
Longtime AAACN Member Honored
The United States Congress recently recognized longtime AAACN member, Cynthia Murray, by flying an American flag over the US capitol in her honor.
Murray was honored for her service to the veterans of southern NJ, advocating for the expansion of local access to quality medical and behavioral health care, decreasing travel burden, and increasing timelines of care received. She has also been a strong advocate in the prevention of veteran suicide.
AAACN Member Receives National Award
Anabel Quintanar was recently recognized as the winner of the 2018 VA Secretary’s Awards for Excellence in Nursing and Advancement of Nursing Programs in the Registered Nurse staff role.
This is considered the highest award for nursing within the VA.
Local and regional winners are selected from hundreds of nominees and then one national winner is selected from there. “AAACN has been instrumental in me obtaining this award,” Quintanar said. “I joined AAACN about four years ago, got involved right away, and have just seen my leadership and nursing skills grow so much. Being a participant in the VA SIG has helped tremendously as well. As an ambulatory care nurse, it is an honor to have been selected.”