AAACN joined 36 nursing organizations in commending the Senate Health Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee in crafting the Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 which addresses the growing nursing shortage. AAACN agreed with recommendations made to improve the act, including additions or clarifications concerning:
- Education and growth opportunities for racial and ethnic minorities under represented among RNs.
- Increase the nurse faculty population.
- Increase funding so that more nurses are educated to address the demand for emerging nursing positions, particularly in public health, prevention, and primary care.
- Enable nursing schools to expand student capacity.
- Advanced Practice RNs (APRNs) should be clearly identified as primary care providers and authorized to lead Medical Homes.
- Modification of the Medicare funding for nursing to include funds for training APRNs.