The American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN) is a welcoming, unifying community for registered nurses in all ambulatory care settings. AAACN offers ambulatory care nurses:
- Connections with other nurses in similar roles
- Help in advancing their practice and leadership skills
- Advocacy that promotes greater appreciation for the specialty of ambulatory care nursing.
AAACN (formerly the American Academy of Ambulatory Nursing Administration) was founded in 1978 as a not for profit, educational forum.
In 1993, the organization's name was changed to the American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN). Membership was broadened to include nurses in clinical practice, education, and research roles as well as those in management and administration.
AAACN is the only specialty nursing association that focuses on excellence in ambulatory care.
Our mission is to advance the art and science of ambulatory care nursing.
Our goals are:
- Serve our Members - Enhance the professional growth and career advancement of our members.
- Expand our Influence - Expand the influence of AAACN and ambulatory care nurses to achieve a greater positive impact on the quality of ambulatory care.
- Strengthen our Core - Ensure a healthy organization committed to serving our members and expanding our influence.
Our Members: Over 3,000 registered nurses who practice in many ambulatory care settings such as hospital-based outpatient clinics/centers, solo/group medical practices, telehealth call centers, university hospitals, community hospitals, military and VA settings, managed care/HMOs/PPOs, colleges/educational institutions, patient homes, and free standing facilities.
Members serve in multiple roles such as managers and supervisors, administrators and directors, staff nurses, care coordinators, educators, consultants, advanced practice nurses, and researchers.
The Academy serves as a voice for ambulatory care nurses across the continuum of health care delivery.
We provide cutting edge publications for ambulatory care nursing including telehealth and care coordination and transition management. AAACN is the trusted knowledge source for certification preparation for the ambulatory care nurse and care coordination and transition management exams.